First and Onlys That Took Place in Franklin County
A brief outline of some sites, buildings and areas that have historical significance within our county lines. (See map for locations)
1. Idaho’s first permanent settlement at Franklin (1860) with buildings and sites there.
2. Two known Indian burial sites at Franklin (shown clearly on the Martineau map).
3. Two archeological sites in caves at Franklin and Weston.
4. Ceremonial hot springs at Battle Creek/Oneida Narrows.
5. Preston’s first school house location, 1879). Preserved by the DUP.
6. The site of the telegraph used to notify the Federal Government of the outcome of the battle at Little Big Horn and General Custer’s death, 1876 and before. South Franklin. The equipment is in the Franklin Museum.
7. The first narrow gauge railroad and roundhouse at Battle Creek and Bridgeport, 1869.
8. The first river town and toll bridge at Bridgeport, 1869.
9. Ancient Shoshoni Trail that began in the West Desert to the Wind River area and on to the buffalo hunting grounds on the plains. (Marker up Cub River Canyon)
10. The original emigrant trail from East to West known as the “Old German Dugway,” still useable, mid-1800’s. (Marker in Cub river Canyon).
11. The Gold Road to Montana gold fields, at Battle Creek.
12. The site of ancient Indian corrals in Clifton.
13. Old Battle Creek Town at the site of the Battle of Bear River, 1877-1881. (now the Bear River Massacre National Historic Landmark.
14. The site of the Battle of Bear River involving col. Patrick E. Connor, the California Volunteers, and the Northwestern Band of Shoshoni, Jan. 29, 1863. (Designated a “massacre” site rather than a battle in 1990).
15. In addition to $14, it is also the site of fur trading and the Mountain Man Rendezvous.
16. Oneida Stake Academy
17. Indian mound between Clifton and Oxford.
18. Old Oxford town.
19. Wells Fargo Stage Stop on Bear Creek.
20. Site of Idaho Territory’s first saw mill (Franklin).
21. Site of Idaho Territory’s first electrical power (by hydro power).
22. Site of Idaho Territory’s first irrigation canal (Franklin).
23. Pioneer Relic Hall built 1936 (Franklin).
24. This area was nearly covered by Lake Bonneville. The last plateau of the lake is plainly visible on the east benches and is called the “Provo Level.” This level can also be seen on Little Mountain—last plateau near the top of the hill.